St. Mary’s Catholic School had its beginnings in the small community of West, TX in the year 1899. The Czech parishioners of the Assumption Church wished to build a parochial school with nuns to teach their children.
The pastor of Assumption parish petitioned for nuns from the order of the Sisters of Divine Providence in San Antonio, TX. A two-story, frame structure served as both a school and living quarters for the sisters. There were 132 children, and since many people lived too far away to make the trip each day, the sisters accepted boarders.
Times have changed and buildings have been added, but the spirit of St. Mary’s remains the same. The school educates students from 4K to 8th grade. There are eleven classroom teachers, as well as a physical education teacher, computer teacher, Spanish teacher, librarian, choir director, religion coordinator, and early child care director. The original two-story structure is bricked and serves as a fully licensed child care center, serving children from six weeks through three years of age.
St. Mary’s is accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department (TCCED) and AdvancedEd, and continues to provide a quality Catholic education to the children of West and the surrounding areas.